English Language & Communication (Oral & Aural Proficiency Development) Course
English is the medium of instruction in Indian classrooms at the university level. The study materials are in English too. Students’ are also required to write their examination papers, make effective presentations in seminars and participate in effective in-class and off-class academic interactions. Besides high level of Cognitive Academic Linguistic Proficiency, the students would need to engage in fluency in oral interactions and high level of listening comprehension not only during classroom interactions but also during campus placement process and later in professional life. Students also need to seamlessly converse with their teachers, fellow students coming from a multitude of linguistic and cultural backgrounds and others which warrants a fairly high degree of fluency in Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS). KIIT University receives students from various backgrounds: Vernacular Medium Schools and English Medium Schools. Some students are found to have low level of proficiency in CALP and BICS. Hence this “English Language & Communication (Oral & Aural Proficiency Development) Course” is designed as an optional ex-curricular intervention course for such students who are in need to enhance their CAP and BICS.
- To help students learn basic language structure
- To enhance students’ academic and basic interpersonal communication vocabulary
- To provide cooperative environment for the students to participate in academic and interpersonal communication and develop their fluency and confidence.
- To help students improve their proficiency in all areas of linguistic proficiency- listening, speaking, reading and writing.
This course is meant for beginners and false beginners and is a 36-week (6 hours per week spread across two semesters, 18 weeks in each semester) refresher and guided practice course essentially aimed at helping students in improving fluency in speaking in English. The course is split into 5 levels. The course content is as given below:
Level 1 (30 Hours)
Basics of Language: Students will receive a refresher on the structural aspects of English language
Level 2 (32 Hours)
Social Communications in English
Level 3 (30 Hours)
Level 4 (30 Hours)
Level 5 (30 Hours)
Advanced Communication Skills Lab
The course will be primarily hands-on type. For every theoretical input, the student has to practice through in-class and off-class activities.
The students will be able to use English language fluently
- Most people who learn a second language would like master enough of that language to be able to engage in basic conversations when meeting people in social and business settings. This course will help the learner improve his/her social Business English language (Oral) skills so that the learner will be able to communicate confidently with people in social and business settings.
- The course starts by showing how to meet and greet people and how to engage in small talk. The learners will also learn how to make suggestions, requests and offers, how to about his/her leisure time activities, and how to give opinion on different topics.
- This course will give the learner much greater confidence when communicating with people in social and business settings and allow them to engage in conversations that are fun and meaningful. This course will be of great interest to all those who would like to further improve their language skills.
Entry into the course:
The course is open for students of KIIT University. Students can enter the course at any level. However, they will need to go through a placement test in order to be considered eligible for entry into the next level.
As this is an optional non-credit course, the course will be available during afternoon (4-6 pm) and evening hours (6-8 pm).
The classes are scheduled as below:
Campus-3 (The Classroom Number will be communicated to the students before commencement of Classes.
Registration in to the course
Course Fee: Rs 2000/- per level
Student Strength per Batch: Minimum-25, Maximum-30
Course Coordinator: Prof. Lipsa Padhi