Multilingual Literacy Development Initiative
KIIT University is committed to preparing students for participation in a global environment. There is a need to propagate multilingual literacy among the students. The students of KIIT University after their graduation from the university go out to join various national and multinational companies and organizations. Multilingual literacy, therefore, is of eminent importance the students of KIIT University as it will provide them an edge over other in this competitive world.
Towards this goal, i.e. to promote multilingual literacy among the students of KIIT University, KIIT School of Languages has been offering various short term courses to the students of KIIT University. This initiative will empower the students with communication competence in strategically important Global Languages and various Modern Indian Languages so that they operate smoothly in regional, national and global levels and enable them to function effectively in a multicultural and multi –lingual nation like India and the rapidly changing global scenario.
Under this initiative it is proposed to provide Beginner Level (As per EFR) Foreign Language and Modern Indian Languages as Non-credit Optional subjects to the students of KIIT University.
This is a 12-week Long course with 36 Sessions, each session of 75 minutes duration. The course is offered in the evenings so that all students can participate in the programme. There are three terms in an academic year so that students can choose to enroll in the course as per their convenience.
This course is designed for absolute beginners and requires no prior knowledge and exposure in the target language. The course structure for all languages is uniform and is designed according to European Framework of Reference for language competence development.
Students can choose to enroll for any number of courses as per their capacity to learn and convenience.
Following courses is on the offer:
Course Objective: To develop multi-lingual literacy of KIIT University students
- To help students learn how to make simple enquiries in speaking and writing and to give instructions.
- To help students learn the basic grammar.
- To help the students learn the most commonly used vocabulary
- To help the students learn to carry out following functions using the language:
- Asking the way
- Giving directions
- Asking for and giving information
- Discussing home and the household
- Describing people and their character
- Defining shape, size and colour of objects
- Asking for and giving opinions
- The working world
- Returning faulty goods to a shop
Course Delivery Parameters:
- Course Duration: 12 Weeks (36 classes, each class of 1h 15 mins)
- Course Commencement Date: 1st week of July
- Classes on: 3 days/week
- Class Timing: 6.30 pm – 7.45 pm
- Venue: Students will be informed before commencement of the classes.
- Course Registration Fee:
Foreign Language Courses- Rs 4, 000/-
Indian Languages- Rs 1500/-
- Class Size: 40 Students
- Course Facilitations: Non-Native/Native faculties as per availability
- Enrollment Terms: First-Come-First-Serve
- Course Certification: The students shall be given Course Completion Certificate after successful Completion of the course. The students are required to attend a minimum of 80% of the classes, and complete all in/off assignments and pass the course end Test in order to be considered to have completed the course
Consult KSOL office before registration.
Note: Number of classes/week and class days can be changed in order to complete the course in time.
How to Apply for the Course?
Candidates shall have to use printed application form which they may personally obtain from the office of the KIIT School of Languages and submit the same at the School of Languages (At address given below) along with Demand Draft towards course registration fee:
D-Block, 3rd Floor, Campus-3 (Kathajodi Campus), KIIT University
Important Dates to Note:
Students’ learning will be assessed at the end of the course. The test will evaluate all areas of language learning: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. The test is mandatory and students are required to score a minimum of 60% to pass the examination.
Students understand familiar words and elementary sentences, phrase simple questions and describe self and others. They can speak about everyday situations.
Students know how to make simple enquiries in speaking and writing and to give instructions, build basic grammar and vocabulary. Students’ also can carry out following functions using the language: exchanging greetings, apologizing, telling time, asking for and giving opinions, expressing mood, emotion and attitude, asking the way, giving directions, asking for and giving information, discussing home and the household, describing people and their character, describing objects used commonly and their functions, describing a typical day, defining shape, size and colour, mathematical functions, shopping related interactions and booking accommodation.